On today’s show I will be chatting with one of my former colleagues and friend, Lt. William Walsh!
Lieutenant Walsh joined the Milwaukee Police Department in 1993. He started in patrol and worked in one of the busiest and most dangerous districts in the city, and perhaps the country! During his distinguished twenty-seven-year career, he went on promoted to sergeant being a supervisor for the tactical enforcement unit (SWAT), an instructor at the police academy, an investigator in the internal affairs division (IAD), and then promoted again to lieutenant where he finished his career supervising the sergeants and police officers at district five late shift, where he began his police career.
The good lieutenant is now teaching at Blackhawk Technical College and writing novels.
In today’s episode we discuss:
· Will growing up in Milwaukee and then later joining the Marines.
· How and why, he joined the Milwaukee Police Department.
· How friends, family, and the community reacted to him becoming a Milwaukee Police Officer.
· His beginnings in the department working late shift in one of the busiest and most dangerous districts in the city/country.
· Him being promoted to sergeant and immediately being assigned to the tactical enforcement unit (SWAT) in an attempt to balance racial inequality.
· Common misconceptions associated with how SWAT officers are portrayed on TV, in movies, and in books.
· Reluctantly being assigned to the internal affairs division (IAD) and the problems and challenges that assignment posed.
· Promoting to lieutenant and commanding the late shift at District Five where his career started!
· Retirement and his new teaching career and writing novels.
Connect with Lt. Walsh on LinkedIn.
Check out his debut novel, Fallen Angels.
Check out Field Training (Brew City Blues Book 1)!!
Enjoy the Cops and Writers book series.
Please visit the Cops and Writers website.
Do you enjoy gritty, action-packed real-life police dramas to get your fill of blood, heartache, and cop humor, and maybe even a little romance?
I have partnered up with Michael Anderle and we have released a new crime fiction series called “Brew City Blues.”
If you're a fan of Hill Street Blues, Southland, or Bosch you’re going to love Brew City Blues!
Brew City Blues is now live! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLR7FX27
Only for Cops and Writers Podcast listeners! Get 50% off the audiobook version of the F.B.I. K-9 thriller, Avenging Adam by Jodi Burnett. Use code, https://jodi-burnett.com/copsandwriters/
Avenging Adam Audiobook by Jodi Burnett