Today we are in the Line of Fire with Special Agent Mark Brandenburg of the United States Secret Service.
Mark started his career in law enforcement in the Olathe, KS, Police Department (a suburb of Kansas City). He was assigned to patrol, served as an FTO, and was a member of the tactical support unit.
In 2001, Mark was hired by the USSS as a special agent. His second day of training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) in Glynco, GA, was 9/11.
Began career in the Chicago Field Office investigating financial crimes
In 2008, Mark moved to Washington, DC, and served 5 1/2 years on the Presidential Protective Division during the Obama administration. During this time was a member of the shift protecting the president and served on the Transportation Section that advances the motorcade routes. Mark drove the presidential limo (The Beast) on many occasions.
From 2017 - 2019, Mark was a supervisory agent on the Vice-Presidential Protective Division during Mike Pence’s tenure.
February 21, 2023, Mark published his first novel, Fence Jumper, which is a humorous political thriller about a suspended USSS agent who discovers the supposedly kidnapped wife of a senator running in the presidential primary.
In today’s episode we discuss:
· The reason Mark joined law enforcement.
· Why Mark joined the United States Secret Service.
· What it was like to be on his second day of training 9/11 to be a special agent with the secret service.
· What was involved in investigating financial crimes?
· What it is really like on the presidential protection detail.
· The importance of staying politically neutral.
· Favorite and not-so-favorite part of being on the presidential protection detail.
· What are the common errors in movies / T.V. regarding the secret service? (To Live and Die in L.A. and In the Line of Fire)
· How much fun is it to drive the presidential limo nicknamed the Beast?
· Mark’s debut novel, Fence Jumper.
All of this and more on today’s episode of the Cops and Writers podcast.
Check out Mark's debut novel Fence Jumper!
Have questions? Email Mark.
Come join the sarge and RJ Beam at the 2023 Cops and Writers Interactive Conference (Cop Camp) June 1-4, 2023 at the Fox Valley Police Academy in Appleton Wisconsin!!
Check out Field Training (Brew Ci
Do you want to write crime stories that are accurate and believable, but lack first-hand experience in law enforcement?
Join Cop Camp, the Cops and Writers Interactive Conference, and experience what real police officers and detectives do through hands-on activities this June 1st – the 4th at the Fox Valley police academy in Appleton, Wisconsin. Register now at premeditatedfiction.com/copcamp2023 and take your crime writing to the next level.
Do you enjoy gritty, action-packed real-life police dramas to get your fill of blood, heartache, and cop humor, and maybe even a little romance?
I have partnered up with Michael Anderle and we have released a new crime fiction series called “Brew City Blues.”
If you're a fan of Hill Street Blues, Southland, or Bosch you’re going to love Brew City Blues!
Brew City Blues is now live! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLR7FX27Support the show