On today’s show, I’m so happy to have Dr. Heather Kersten and Dr. Emily Jirikowic who are co-founders of First Responder's PSYCHOLOGICAL SERVICES.
The good doctors who are most commonly referred to as police psychologists provide debriefings, crisis intervention, and trauma treatment. They have realized the importance of psychoeducation and face-time with members to build trust and gain acceptance in a field requiring specialized skill and ability.
These doctors work on the front lines with first responders in the most trying of times and provide much-needed support.
In today’s episode, we discuss:
· Dr. Kersten and Dr. Jirikowic’s First Responders Psychological Services.
· When a debriefing is appropriate and what one looks like.
· Their role in crisis intervention with first responders.
· What psycho evaluations are and when they are conducted.
· Both doctors experience starting their careers working in the prison system with sex offenders.
· Having police officers in their immediate family and the unique perspective that gives them.
· What P.T.S.D. is and how it can be misunderstood.
· How to prevent P.T.S.D. and lessen its effects.
· Suicide prevention and best practices dealing with suicidal subjects.
· How do members deal or don’t deal with leaving police work and reintegrating into a “normal lifestyle.”
All of this and more on today’s episode of the Cops and Writers podcast.
Visit Emily and Heather on their website!
Read Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych ER and
Enjoy the Cops and Writer's book series.
Please visit the Cops and Writers website.
If you have a question for the sarge, hit him up at his email.
Come join the fun at the Cops and Writers Facebook group
Suidie hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Check out 053 Police Chaplain George Papachristou on the Cops and Writers Podcast
Consider buying me a coffee :-)