Today’s episode takes us to coastal New Hampshire where I chat with bestselling author, J.D. Barker.
J.D. Barker is the New York Times and international best-selling author of numerous novels, including DRACUL and THE FOURTH MONKEY. His latest, A CALLER'S GAME, will be released on February 22. He is currently collaborating with James Patterson.
His books have been translated into two dozen languages, sold in more than 150 countries, and optioned for both film and television.
In today’s episode we discuss:
· How J.D.’s early years of being a ‘babysitter’ to rock stars helped him craft stories later in his career.
· How and why J.D. quit a lucrative job in finance to fulfill his dream of being a full-time writer.
· When J.D. realized he had ‘made it’ in the writing business.
· His bestselling book the Fourth Monkey, more specifically how that was not the original title, how he did and didn’t get the police procedure parts correct, how he told the story from multiple points of view, and how he injected raw emotion into the story. (There are spoilers here if you haven’t read the book and want to.)
· The steps into getting your book made into a T.V. show or movie.
· The necessary work ethic needed to succeed in the author business.
· Co-writing with James Patterson.
· What a typical writing day looks like for J.D., including making time for exercise.
All of this and more on today’s episode of the Cops and Writers podcast.
This episode is for the writers out there!
Visit J.D. Barker's website to learn more about him and his books!
Check out the Best of BookTok!
Enjoy the Cops and Writers book series.
Please visit the Cops and Writers website.
If you have a question for the sarge, hit him up at his email.
Come join the fun at the Cops and Writers Facebook group
Listen to Writers Ink Podcast!
Listen to Episode #36 of the Cops and Writers Podcast with J Thorn
Listen to Episode #52 of the Cops and Writers Podcast with Zach Bohannon