Today’s episode takes us to coastal New Hampshire where I chat with bestselling author, J.D. Barker.
J.D. Barker is the New York Times and international best-selling author of numerous novels, including DRACUL and THE FOURTH MONKEY. His latest, A CALLER'S GAME, will be released on February 22. He is currently collaborating with James Patterson.
His books have been translated into two dozen languages, sold in more than 150 countries, and optioned for both film and television.
In today’s episode we discuss:
· How J.D.’s early years of being a ‘babysitter’ to rock stars helped him craft stories later in his career.
· How and why J.D. quit a lucrative job in finance to fulfill his dream of being a full-time writer.
· When J.D. realized he had ‘made it’ in the writing business.
· His bestselling book the Fourth Monkey, more specifically how that was not the original title, how he did and didn’t get the police procedure parts correct, how he told the story from multiple points of view, and how he injected raw emotion into the story. (There are spoilers here if you haven’t read the book and want to.)
· The steps into getting your book made into a T.V. show or movie.
· The necessary work ethic needed to succeed in the author business.
· Co-writing with James Patterson.
· What a typical writing day looks like for J.D., including making time for exercise.
All of this and more on today’s episode of the Cops and Writers podcast.
This episode is for the writers out there!
Visit J.D. Barker's website to learn more about him and his books!
Check out the Best of BookTok!
Enjoy the Cops and Writers book series.
Please visit the Cops and Writers website.
If you have a question for the sarge, hit him up at his email.
Come join the fun at the Cops and Writers Facebook group
Listen to Writers Ink Podcast!
Listen to Episode #36 of the Cops and Writers Podcast with J Thorn
Listen to Episode #52 of the Cops and Writers Podcast with Zach Bohannon
Do you want to write crime stories that are accurate and believable, but lack first-hand experience in law enforcement?
Join Cop Camp, the Cops and Writers Interactive Conference, and experience what real police officers and detectives do through hands-on activities this June 1st – the 4th at the Fox Valley police academy in Appleton, Wisconsin. Register now at premeditatedfiction.com/copcamp2023 and take your crime writing to the next level.
Do you enjoy gritty, action-packed real-life police dramas to get your fill of blood, heartache, and cop humor, and maybe even a little romance?
I have partnered up with Michael Anderle and we have released a new crime fiction series called “Brew City Blues.”
If you're a fan of Hill Street Blues, Southland, or Bosch you’re going to love Brew City Blues!
Brew City Blues is now live! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLR7FX27Support the show