Today’s episode takes us over the pond to England where I chat with West Midlands Police Sergeant and author, Ralph Kern.
Ralph Kern is a sergeant in the UK’s West Midlands Police. He has spent his sixteen years of service policing one of the most challenging areas in Britain in various roles. He’s also an author. While focusing on science fiction and techno-thrillers, his experiences and dealing with the pace and dangers of modern policing translates into his work.
In today’s episode we discuss:
· How Ralph went from studying aerospace engineering to becoming a police officer.
· What the requirements, training, and equipment look like for a new constable in the West Midlands Police Department looks like.
· How local police departments communicate or don’t communicate and work together trying to solve cases.
· When an armed response unit, K-9, and motorcycle units are called into service and who summons them.
· Ranks and career paths in the West Midlands Police Department.
· Ralph takes us through a homicide scene including who does what and why.
· The arrest process and when a lawyer/solicitor is summoned to an interrogation.
· We chat about Ralph's successful author career writing science fiction blending elements of crime fiction into his stories.
All of this and more on today’s episode of the Cops and Writers podcast.
Visit Ralph Kern's website and learn more about his books and his interesting life.
Enjoy the Cops and Writers book series.
Please visit the Cops and Writers website.
If you have a question for the sarge, hit him up at his email.
Come join the fun at the Cops and Writers Facebook group